Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Coolest compliment of the month for a car guy.... and two good stories of buying cars

Your blog is like an old box of car parts hidden away in the corner of a favorite grand parents garage

Hey man just wanted to drop a line and say thanks for your blog, it is so much fun to go through.

I live in LA and have been a car nut ever since I was 9 I saw an old dilapidated and dusty 68/69Barracuda notchback sitting in a parking garage. I dreamt about how it probably belonged to an old lady who just couldn't drive it anymore. The lines of that car really got me wanting one. I used to stay up late with a flashlight, thumbing through endless ads in The Recycler until my fingers were black from the inked pages. I saw an ad for a 69 Barracuda notch and jumped when i saw the lowly price of 2700. I drove out to Glendale and saw the car of my dreams, in about 6 different shades of primer, with the original Spanish Gold metallic peaking through. 

A rattle canned Plum Crazy engine bay sealed the deal, and the poor old guy selling the car gave me the keys as his wife sat with her arms on her hips, tapping her foot as he signed his baby away to me. The car came with two extra pumpkins, one a 3.23 and the other a set of 3.11's. Also came with an extra dash, endless wiring, 3 sets of emblems, a spare window frame, two sets of ballast resistors and an old Maxwell coffee jar full of clips and fasteners. No doubt, the minute I left he handed the wad of cash over to his wife, the poor bastard.


Best,

Noah

No comments:

Post a Comment