Friday, December 18, 2015

what happened to Sears being the source of good tools, appliances, and auto repairs? The article Craig wrote at Car Talk explains


http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/craig-fitzgerald/sears-craftsman-tools-what-happened-0

FYI
Sears never "made" Craftsman tools. In its history, it contracted out to some of the finest toolmakers in the world. You can find out which company made those tools by decoding the first three digits of the serial number to the left of the decimal point on pretty much anything Sears sold. There's a decoder at http://vintagemachinery.org/Craftsman/manufacturers.aspx

1 comment:

  1. I could walk out to my truck right now and take out my Craftsman 1/2" socket set in a tool box very similar to the one pictured. Bought those tools in the '60s when I first started working as a mechanic and they are still the best ones I own! No comparison to contemporary products. I also still have (and use) my app. 50 year old Craftsman tool box sitting on a newer Craftsman roller cabinet.

    ReplyDelete